versão impressa ISSN 0872-1904
Port. Electrochim. Acta v.26 n.5 Coimbra 2008
Studies on the Evaluation of the Performance of two Types of Polyurethane Coatings on Steel Rebars for the Prevention of Corrosion in Concrete Structures
Corrosion Science and Engineering Division of Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, Tamilnadu, India – 630 006
Received 8 February 2008; accepted 30 September 2008
The performance of two resin combinations, such as acrylic polyol – aromatic isocyanate and polyester polyol – aromatic isocyanate as durable and effective rebar coatings for steel in concrete has been examined by studying their mechanical properties and by using accelerated tests such as salt spray test and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. It is found that polyester polyol-aromatic isocyanate combination performs better than acrylic polyol-aromatic isocyanate combination. Incorporation of fly ash in the coating is found to influence the performance of the coating.
Keywords: concrete corrosion, surface coatings, rebar, electrochemical impedance spectrum analysis.
Full text only in PDF format
Texto disponível em PDF
1. W.W. Lin and L. Ding, Proc. Intl. Conf. on “Corrosion and corrosion prevention of steel in concrete”, Sheffield Academic Press, England (1994), p.1210.
2. S.X. Wang, W.W. Lin, S.A. Ceng and J.Q. Zhang, Cement and Concr. Research 28 (1998) 649. [ Links ]
3. A. Al-Hashim, J.A. Carew and A. Hasan, Surf. Coat. Intl. 82 (1999) 260.
4. S. Patil and M.A. Shenoy, Trans. Metal Finishers Association of India 2 (1993) 31.
5. C.H. Hare, J. Prot. Coat and Lining 11 (1994) 71.
6. J.A. Prane, “Introduction of polymers and resins”, Monograph published by Federation of Societies for Coatings and Technology, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA July (1986)
7. G. Meyer, Farbe Lack 71 (1965) 113.
8. P. Parsons (Ed), “Surface coating: Raw materials and their usage”, Vol.1, Published by Surface Coatings Association of Australia, Chapman & Hall, London (1993).
9. C.H. Hare, J. Prot. Coat. and Lining 12 (1995) 67.
10. C.H. Hare, J. Prot. Coat. and Lining 14 (1997) 66.
11. R. Romagnoli, B. Del Amo, O.F. Vetere and L. Veleva, Surf. Coat. Intl. 83 (2000) 27.
12. M. Beiro, A. Collazo, M. Izquierdo, X.R. Novoa, and C. Perez, Prog. Org. Coat. 46 (2003) 97.
13. B.S. Skerry and D.A. Edew, Prog. Org. Coat. 15 (1987) 26.
14. A.L.A. Fraay, J.M. Bijen and Y.M. De Haan, Cement and Concr. Res. 2 (1989) 235.
15. M.D.A. Thomas and J.D. Mathews, Materials and Structures 25 (1992) 388.
16. S.H. Lin, Corrosion 46 (1990) 964.
17. S. Quiaw, D. Qu, G.P. Gu and N. Bouzoubaa, The Indian Concr. Journal Nov. (2004) p.51.
18. J.G. Balfour, JOCCA 73 (1990) 231.
 Retired scientist.